Mark Goldberg, 719.532.8436
79 Schools Score 2018 Thomas R. Brown Athletics Grants from California Casualty
San Mateo, CA, April 13, 2018 – Athletes at 79 public middle schools and high schools in 32 states will benefit from the 2018 California Casualty Thomas R. Brown Athletics Grant program. More than $83,000 is being given to aid sports programs affected by tight budgets.
The grant is named for California Casualty Chairman Emeritus Tom Brown, an avid sportsman who believes that teamwork, confidence and sportsmanship help develop high achievers in academics and in life. Since its inception in 2011, more than $660,000 has been awarded to some 600 schools across the nation.
Some examples of the how the 2018 Thomas R. Brown Athletics Grants will help schools include:
- Crosby High School (Connecticut) purchase a tackling and blocking sled to increase football team player safety
- Somersworth Middle School (New Hampshire) outfit the softball team with new uniforms
- Red Bay High School (Alabama) provide uniforms and equipment for the baseball team
- Santan Junior High School (Arizona) invest in soccer and track and field equipment for the school’s ADAPTS sports activities for autistic students
- Gervais Middle School (Oregon) outfit the track and field team with sweat suits and a canopy to protect athletes during cold-weather meets
- Matt Garcia Career and College Academy (California) supply balls and basic equipment for the school’s beleaguered volleyball and basketball teams
A complete list of the 2017/2018 recipients follows.
“All students should have the opportunity to compete,” said Lisa Almeida, Assistant Vice President. “California Casualty’s 67 year commitment to educators and schools also reaches to athletic fields.”
Public middle and high schools with an unmet need for a sports program can try for next year; applications for the 2018/2019 California Casualty Thomas R. Brown Athletics Grants are now being taken at www.calcasathleticsgrant.com. The deadline for consideration is January 15, 2019.
California Casualty has other initiatives that give back to educators for all their hard work including the “Wherever Your Journey Takes you…We’ll be there” sweepstakes for a chance to win a Dodge Journey, www.winajourney.com; $7,500 School Lounge Makeover®, www.schoolloungemakeover.com; and $200 Help Your Classroom grants, www.calcas.com/help-your-classroom.
Headquartered in San Mateo, California, with Service Centers in Arizona, Colorado and Kansas, California Casualty provides auto and home insurance to nurses, educators, firefighters and law enforcement. Founded in 1914, California Casualty has been led by four generations of the Brown family. Learn more at www.calcas.com or call 1.800.800.9410.
2016/2017 Thomas R. Brown Athletics Grant Recipients