Claims Process

What to expect

Here we've answered some common questions about our claims process. This should help you understand what to expect through the claims process.

Claims Overview

Who will handle my claim?

When you call to report your loss, you will speak with a claims representative who will ask questions about your claim and may take your recorded statement. You will be given a claim number and the name of the adjuster assigned to your claim.

For auto claims, that same claims representative will help you get the repairs started on your vehicle. Depending on the type of claim, a material damage appraiser may contact you to inspect the damage and complete a repair estimate.

For homeowner claims, depending on the severity of your claim, a field adjuster may contact you to inspect the damage to your property.

What if I call after hours to report my claim?

Someone is available to take your claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you call outside of our regular business hours, your call will be directed to an after-hours reporting service. This service will take basic information regarding your loss and will provide that information to us. Someone on our claims staff will contact you on the next business day. You may be asked to provide a recorded statement.

What forms do I need to complete?

Depending on the type of claim, you may need to complete some forms. If you do, a claims packet of forms and instructions will be mailed to you the next business day. Please complete those forms to the best of your ability and return them to us in the envelope provided. If you do not receive claim forms within 10 business days of reporting your loss, please contact your adjuster.

For homeowner claims, always contact your police department to file a stolen property or vandalism report.

Auto Claims

Where do I get my car fixed?

You have the right to choose any repair facility. It is up to you to decide if the repair shop chosen is equipped and trained to repair the vehicle to industry standards. If you would like help in choosing a repair shop, please ask your adjuster for the names of repair facilities convenient to you. We can recommend shops from our Guaranteed Repair Network.

If your car is safely drivable, you may be asked to get a repair estimate from a body shop or vendor (such as a windshield repair facility). Before authorizing any repairs to your vehicle, please submit that repair estimate to your adjuster for approval.

On larger losses, an appraiser may be assigned to inspect your vehicle. It's our goal to have your vehicle inspected within two working days of knowing where your vehicle is located.

Who will pay for the repairs to my car?

When you sign a repair authorization, we pay the body shops directly after the repairs are done. It's your responsibility to pay your deductible and any depreciation directly to the repair shop at completion of repairs.

How long will it take to repair?

It depends on the amount of damage, availability of parts and the body shop's workload.

What if my vehicle was stolen or is considered a total loss?

We'll determine your vehicle's value by using a market survey of vehicles in your area of like year, model, equipment and condition. A total loss adjuster will contact you to explain your settlement. A check will be issued once we receive all properly completed total loss paperwork.

What if I'm at fault?

If you're determined to be at fault for a collision and another (third) party sustains bodily injury or property damage as a result, your adjuster will handle any third party claims.

If you're contacted by an injured party or their representative, please refer them to your assigned adjuster. Your adjuster will determine the appropriate amount of damages and attempt to settle the other party's claim. Typically we don't discuss third party payments with you. If a lawsuit is filed, we will contact you with further instructions.

What if I'm injured?

If you were injured in an automobile accident and have coverage for those injuries, your claim will be assigned to a medical claim specialist. You will be contacted by your claims specialist regarding your claim and next steps.

Homeowner Claims

What do I need to prove my claim?

Structural losses may require an inspection. Your adjuster will contact you if an inspection is needed.

If you have a loss to personal property, you may be asked to provide receipts, cancelled checks or other documentation to support your claim.

How will my claim be settled? Any settlement is subject to the applicable policy limits.

For property damage (your home and other structures), we normally issue the payment to you and your Mortgagee (if applicable) for the ‘actual cash value/fair market value'. If your policy contains a modified or limited Replacement Cost Endorsement, any difference in the actual cash value and the agreed upon covered repair cost will be paid once the repairs are complete. Again, this is subject to the policy limits listed on your policy's Declaration Page.

Please note that some states have different interpretations and regulations regarding the settlement of structural losses. Your adjuster will advise you on your unique situation in the state where you live.

For personal property claims (your belongings), once value is determined, you are paid the actual cash value. If you purchased a Replacement Cost Endorsement for your personal property, you are entitled to replacement cost coverage, up to the applicable policy limit. After you replace your property and provide us with the receipts, we will pay you the difference between the actual cash value and the replacement cost.

Settlements include a deduction for an applicable deductible and depreciation, if you do not carry Replacement Cost Coverage.

What if my house is uninhabitable?

If you can't live in your house because of a covered loss, your adjuster will talk to you about coverage for temporary additional living expenses.

How long will the repairs take?

It depends on the amount of damage, the contractor's availability and factors like inclement weather. Our adjuster will maintain contact with you and the contractor until repairs are complete.

This is summary information and is subject to the terms and conditions of your policy.